2018 SCHOLARSHIPS to New York State Summer Writers Institute at Skidmore College
To Teachers of Creative Writing:
Several generous gifts and the Institute’s commitment to access and diversity enable us to launch a scholarship competition each year. The competition is open to students enrolled full-time in undergraduate or graduate programs (including those who graduate in May 2018) who are nominated by their creative writing instructors. Please note the scholarships cover TUITION ONLY. Room and board expenses are the responsibility of the student.
Robert Boyers, Director, New York State Summer Writers Institute
Undergraduate Research Community (URC)
Call for Undergraduate Student Research Papers
for presentation at ScholarCon
Hilton Orlando, Florida
June 9-12, 2016
Undergraduate students are eligible to submit research manuscripts, papers, and reports for presentation at the 2016 Research Session at ScholarCon, sponsored by Kappa Omicron Nu.
Research not only bridges the gap between knowledge and experience but has the benefit of laying the groundwork for career exploration and development. The opportunity for undergraduates to participate in a national conference is an added value to the overall educational experience and to the process of self-discovery.
- Integrative, cross specialization research
- Service-learning research
- Traditional research in the specializations (research manuscripts, research papers, research reports.) See Guidelines for Submissions: http://www.kon.org/urc/urc_authorguidelines.html.
Criteria For Selection – The following five criteria will be used in selecting the papers and reports to be presented:
- Scholarly presentation
- Justification for the study
- Logical organization
- Mastery of the subject
- Appropriate documentation
Specifications – Manuscripts, papers, and reports must meet the following specifications:
- Manuscripts, papers, and reports submitted for consideration may describe student projects or research from seminars, independent studies, research assistantships, or class projects in the student’s major, and must be completed between January 1, 2015 and April 15, 2016.
- Manuscripts, papers, and reports should be from four to six pages in length and the text must be double-spaced.
- List keywords (5-8) on the cover page. The main purpose of keywords is to enable successful searching in a database for the main message of your paper. When selecting keywords always think about how any reader might interrogate the database.
- Only manuscripts, papers, and reports from completed research projects will be considered for the award. Manuscripts, papers, and reports may be submitted once.
- Students who completed their degrees in August 2015 and December 2015 and have graduated are still eligible to be considered for this opportunity.
- APA guidelines (other style manuals may be used)
Application and Review Procedures – The manuscript, paper, or report must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, contact Lisa W. Booth at
(T) 517.351.8335 – email@example.com.
- Applications and submissions will be accepted until slots are filled.
- A cover page must be submitted to identify the author’s name, address, phone number, e-mail address, name of college/university, name of faculty mentor, name of faculty member who served as the writing adviser, student status (e.g., junior), and parent’s address and telephone for emergency contact. No identification of the author or institution should appear on the pages of the application.
- In the case of multiple authors—student authors are preferred; a professor as a last author is acceptable.
- A committee composed of faculty mentors of undergraduate research will review submitted applications. Selection of 8-12 papers for presentation will be completed and authors notified by May 15, 2016.
- Applicants should understand that selection carries the obligation of presenting the manuscript, paper, or report.
Presentation at URC Research Conference – The students whose manuscripts, papers, and reports are selected will present at ScholarCon. Oral presentations will be 8-10 minutes in length with some time for questions and answers. Presentations may include 4 – 8 transparencies or PowerPoint slides for visual support of major concepts and findings. Presenters are responsible for expenses incurred in attending the research conference. The top two presenters will be awarded a plaque and monetary gift.
Registration is now open for the Community College Undergraduate Research Initiative Spring 2016 Student Colloquium! This colloquium provides an opportunity for community college students to give poster and oral presentations on scientific research they have conducted in STEM fields.
Registration Link: https://www.etouches.com/s2016colloquium
Registration will remain open until February 22nd or until space is full.
Please feel free contact me with any questions!
Project Director, CCURI
Finger Lakes Community College
3325 Marvin Sands Dr
Canandaigua, NY 14424
The FEA Rainbow Scholarship application deadline is Monday, January 18, 2016 at 12PM Noon Eastern. Now is the time to direct all eligible LGBTQ undergraduate students to apply for scholarships of up to $5,000 for study abroad on the program of their choice during Summer 2016, Fall 2016 or Spring 2017! More information on the Rainbow Scholarship flyer: http://fundforeducationabroad.org/wp-content/uploads/FEA-LGBTQ-Flyer-Final_Web.pdf
Self-identified LGBTQ student, currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S.
How to apply:
Direct your students to: http://fundforeducationabroad.org/applicants/
What they need:
1. Faculty Recommendation – students enter name and contact information into their online application, and faculty members receive an automatically-generated email from FEA. Students must coordinate with faculty recommenders to ensure timely delivery of their letter.
January 18th, 2016 at 12 NOON EST. No exceptions will be made. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their recommender and financial aid officer complete their tasks in a timely manner.
Thanks Rainbow SIG!
– Scott and Andy, Co-Chairs of Rainbow SIG
Scott Tayloe, MBA | Director of Customized Faculty-Led Programs
Co-Chair NAFSA Rainbow SIG (15-17)
CISabroad | 17 New South St, #301
Northampton, MA 01060
t: +1 413 582 0407 ext #5048
f: +1 413 582 0327
CISfact: If you are a new traveller, pack and then leave half of it at home – you will be surprised by how little you really need!
We are happy to announce that students can now submit proposals on-line to present at SURC 2016: http://blog.cobleskill.edu/SURC/surc.html.
Submissions will be accepted through 5 February 2016, and students will be notified of the results by 18 February.
Registration for the conference will open on 1 December 2015 and will continue until the conference date. Meantime, please continue to visit our website for additional information and updates as they become available.
As always, feel free to contact either Beth Orgeron or myself if you have any questions or comments.
All the very best, Jeff
J. M. Anderson, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences
111 Schenectady Avenue
Wheeler Hall, Room 216
Cobleskill, New York 12043
It is very exciting to announce the Historical Society of the New York Courts’ 2016 Garfinkel Essay Scholarship and its resourceful website! http://www.nycourts.gov/history/garfinkel.html
Your help is essential to inform students about this educational, rewarding opportunity. Please forward this e-mail to your students and, as your time permits, offer them your advice and guidance structuring their essays. In addition to receiving a cash prize for their research and writing skills, speak with your students about how this award can set them apart as they move forward in their academic path. I look forward to your support!
The Historical Society of the New York Courts
CALLS FOR ESSAYS BY COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENTS WITHIN CUNY AND SUNY
You, the Juror.
What Role Does Jury Service Play in Our Democracy?
Six scholarships will be awarded to community college students within the CUNY and SUNY systems:
$1,500 1st Place
$1,500 1st Place
Entries will be accepted through April 1, 2016.
FOR WRITING TIPS, RESEARCH RESOURCES &
ONLINE SUBMISSION RULES,